||Click here for brochures from Mauritius specialists
- Fascinating island - scenically varied and beautiful with a real mix of cultures - big French influence. Lots to do and see - feels very exotic.
- White sand beaches, clear, warm Indian Ocean.
- Great Creole cuisine.
- Very high quality hotels with plenty of facilities for children yet no compromise on standards/service/atmosphere for adults.
- No charter flights: there's a definite emphasis on quality tourism.
- Time difference is +GMT - which makes jet lag easier and quicker to deal with.
Things to think about:
- Flight time. It’s around 12 hours, although flights are at night which helps. Won’t help your circulation though with a heavy under 2-year-old on your lap. Book a skycot if you can.
- High quality tourism means most things are relatively expensive. And hotel wise, quality means expense.
- Fewer free night/child free deals than Caribbean.
Vaccinations: Hepatitis A/Typhoid/Tetanus/Polio/Malaria (some parts of country).
When to go: Year round destination, although very best time: May-June, September-October
Capital: Port Louis
Currency: Mauritian ruppee approx £1=40 rupees
Language: English, French, creole
Mauritius links: check weather /Air Mauritius/hotels at http://www.maurinet.com/ or www.ercoli.com