||Click here for brochures from Seychelles specialists
- Arguably the most beautiful tropical islands in the world, with La Digue winning the paradise on earth prize more often than anywhere else. Rain forests (that you can actually walk through), palm trees, white sandy beaches, brilliantly coloured wildlife, surrounded by the clear, warm, turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean.
- Accommodation is diverse and almost always of a high standard, from guesthouses to luxury resorts.
- Food is delicious and breakfast buffets in the most humble establishment groan with a vast array of tropical fruits, while brilliantly coloured birds (fodi) will watch you as you eat.
- Excellent snorkelling: Coco Island (tiny island off Pralin) is particularly good.
- The people are very friendly and relaxed and French is widely spoken, so chances are you’ll be able to communicate with the locals in a language other than English.
- The number, and proximity and diverse nature of islands, makes island hopping an easy, attractive and intriguing option, either by boat or tiny plane. Boat trips between islands are mainly short and make a fascinating excursion in themselves.
- Excellent watersports and other activities on offer including windsurfing, canoeing, sailing and snorkelling.
- Children’s activities widely available at most resorts.
Things to think about:
- Despite diversity of scenery, friendliness of people etc, it’s still very much a beach holiday, so if you don’t like lazing on beaches, it’s possible you might travel a long way to get a bit bored. (For most of us, it’s perfect, however!)
- Eating out can be expensive, and some of the islands have only one hotel or restaurant, so if you plan to island hop, allocate yourself a generous food budget.
Vaccinations: Hep A/typhoid/tetanus/polio.
Sun sense: Dehydration can be a serious problem for babies and young children. Ensure your child remains in the shade and avoid sightseeing during the hottest periods of the day.
Flight time: 10 hours
Time difference: GMT+4 hrs
Tourist office: 020-7224 1670